I want to smooth mortality data in two dimension (age and year) when it is supplied in 5 year bins by age - i.e. 10-14, 15-19,....80-84, or as annual data.
I have tried fractional polynomials, cubic splines, p-splines, moving averages, etc but find that the total mortality rates in each bin or region is distorted.
Are there methods to smooth 2D data whilst minimizing this kind of distortion, and are their R routines to support the methods?

Chris

This message and any attachments contain information that may be RMS Inc. confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), and have received this message in error, any use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail and permanently deleting the message from your computer and/or storage system.

SIGNOFF allstat