I would have supposed that Access to Work would have previously considered paying for these (or made a  contribution due to the benefit of  personal use) if assessed to be a necessary aid to assist the individual in their work as a reasonable adjustment.  A comparison may be software for those with dyslexia or visual impairment.

Regards
Anne

-----Original Message-----
From: HE Administrators equal opportunities list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathryn Fagan
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 9:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Hearing Aids

Dear All

We have had a query today from a member of staff who wears hearing aids, who is claiming that as staff can obtain eye care vouchers to assist with the cost of eye tests and spectacles, he too should receive assistance with the cost of his hearing aids.

Given that eye care vouchers are only available to staff who are designated users of Display Screen Equipment for their work and given that Access to Work assistance is now only available after the employer pays the first £1000 I am doubtful that there is any financial assistance he can obtain but I just wondered if anyone was aware of anything?

Thanks

Kathryn Fagan

HR Manager - Development, Diversity and Reward

HRM Services

University of Chester

"Working in partnership, making a difference"