________________________________

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hallworth Mike
(RLZ)
Sent: 20 May 2011 16:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Berlin Blog

Jonathan

It's irritating and a bit patronising to put the question as "Is bad
science ever good for patients". We aren't talking about bad science. We
are talking about something that works and has practical clinical value,
though it isn't ideal. So of course it can be good for patients, as
those of us in the real world recognise every working day. Indeed, it's
questionable whether we can ever achieve ideal levels of standardization
in a distributed testing system where biological analytes are involved.
But I fully agree that shouldn't stop us trying to do the best we
possibly can, although the resource question has to be balanced against
the potential clinical benefit. Science has never been absolute - it is
always about the best available hypothesis/description that fits the
data until something new turns up and causes us to rethink and do
better.

So put the high horse back in the stable - and have a good weekend!

Cheers

Mike

(and none of the people at the party were me!!)