I wonder whether the "badness" of science is to be judged by the mathematicians / physicists / statisticians for the cleverness of it's complex theoretical underpinnings or by the clinicians for the observable practical benefits to patients?

Perhaps a pragmatist could harmonise these seemingly non standardised approaches to the judgment of "badness" someday......

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Jonathan Middle
Sent: 20 May 2011 15:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Berlin Blog

Hi

I would like to share some conversations I had at IFCC WorldLab in Berlin earlier this week.  (I was there for an IFCC Commiteee on Traceability in Laboratory Medicine meeting, of which I am privileged to be a member.)

One reason why I particularly want to do this, is because at the party after the opening ceremony, I was 'ticked off' for my postings to this forum (presumably on HbA1c standardisation) by a senior member of the ACB.  They said I would 'get into trouble' and that 'no-one agrees with me anyway'!  Unfortunately, this kind of remark is red rag to a bull to me, and has had the opposite effect, as another of my obsessions is that scientists must have freedom of expression.  Being wrong/irritating/controversial is every scientist's duty, if, in being so, it helps the right answer to emerge!

Two other conversations at the party were relevant:

One was with a senior and well known member of the ACB, whom I have known for many years.   His comment on standardisation - "... is unacheivable by the untraceable ..." had the desired effect (it wound me up), but it seems to reflect a view present in some quarters of our profession, that this fundamental process does not have the degree of importance that it demands.

The second was with an professorial colleague, who, in advance of a lecture he was giving at the conference, posed a question to me on the essential difference between standardisation and harmonisation.  I thought for a second or two and gave the pithy reply: "standardisation is scientific and harmonisation is pragmatic", which, a bit to my surprise, was the right answer!  His comment that he wouldn't need to give his lecture if everyone understood this as deeply as I do - I took to be a compliment!

So - discussion point number 1:  Where do we stand on the issue of establishing a metrological traceability chain being fundamental to what we do as clinical scientists?  Is scientific standardisation just too difficult to achieve, so we shouldn't waste resources striving for it and just settle for pragmatic harmonisation?

The next issue is related to the second but goes deeper.  I attended this session:

REPORTING HbA1c FOR MONITORING AND DIAGNOSIS: THE DEVIL'S IN THE DETAIL
09:00 Estimated average glucose 2 years on.   E.S. Kilpatrick (United Kingdom)
09:30 Status of HbA1c measurement and goals for improvement.   R. Little (USA)
10:00 EQA: HbA1c fit for the diagnosis of diabetes?   C.W. Weykamp (The Netherlands)

The second talk troubled me a lot.  It was asserted that NGSP/DCCT numbers must remain in place indefinitely so that results can always be linked back to the DCCT and UKPDS studies.  In questions, I made the point that " ... in science, if you know something is wrong and have something better and more scientifically rigorous to replace it with, this must be adopted ...", and I asked the $64,000 dollar question - " ... when will the US let go of NGSP/DCCT and fully embrace the IFCC reference measurement system and use the new units ...".

The reply I received was actually quite disturbing - that the US would never let go of NGSP or the DCCT numbers.  It appears they have a "different definition of traceability" than other countries, preferring clinical traceability to metrological traceability, and that "this is for the benefit of patients".  I felt ever so slightly 'put down' by this.  (Surely such a view means that the US will basically isolate itself from the rest of the world and forever 'fossilise' its technology and decision making on studies which will eventually become out of date.  Furthermore it will probably inhibit the diagnostic industry from ever fully implementing IFCC traceable standardisation.)

So - discussion point number 2:   Can bad science ever be good for patients?

Cheers

Jonathan

PS - It was also mentioned to me that the '5 Whys' in my previous posting about educating GPs on HbA1c reporting, work just as well in the reverse direction.  So feel free to re-arrange if it suits.  J.

--
Use [log in to unmask] for all professional email
Use [log in to unmask] for personal email

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/
Barking, Havering & Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust: Most Innovative Trust in London 2009

This communication, together with any files or attachments transmitted with
it contains information which is confidential and may be subject to legal
privilege and is intended solely for the use by the person(s) or entity to
whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you must not
copy, distribute, publish or take any action in reliance on it. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify
[log in to unmask] and delete it from your computer systems.

Barking, Havering & Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust reserves the
right to monitor all communications for lawful purposes. Receipt of this email
does not imply consent to use or provide this email address, or any others
contained therein, to any third party for any purposes. The contents of this
email are protected under international copyright law.

To save energy and paper please print this email only if you really need to.

This email has been scanned for viruses using antivirus software by
Barking, Havering & Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust. Whilst every
care is taken to avoid the transmission of virus code; please ensure that you
have up to date virus detection software before opening any E-mail
messages or attachments