From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Salter, Simon
Sent: 20 May 2011 11:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: A Friday problem

Dear brain trust,

Yesterday I was doing an extraction in blood using 90:10 Hexane:ethyl acetate (4ml). After mixing (pretty vigorously for 10 minutes) and spinning I had a lovely layer of cells at the bottom of my tube and a large layer  of jelly above. The hexane/ethyl acetate mixture had formed a gel with something in the blood. My question is this: what is it in the blood that causes the gel formation and why does it only happen in some samples (it happened in 4 of 40 samples yesterday but normally nothing happens at all, I just end up with a nice layer of hexane/ethyl acetate and a layer of blood at the bottom). All samples are treated the same and mixed at the same time on a vibramixer. I have noticed something similar when extracting with diethyl ether too.

My only thoughts is that the hydrophobic solvent crashes the proteins out of solution which then all  bind to each other in a random disorganised manner thus forming a gel. The samples are post mortem and in fluoride oxalate tubes.

Anyway, I thought someone out there might have a proper answer.

Simon

Disclaimer

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Trust unless explicitly stated otherwise.
If you have received this e-mail in error please delete it and contact the Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust Helpdesk on:- 023 80796000
The information contained in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Unless the Information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for computer viruses.
Please visit our website at http://www.suht.nhs.uk

Think of the environment.  Please avoid printing this e-mail unnecessarily

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/
This email is confidential and is intended solely for the person or
Entity to whom it is addressed.  If this is not you, please forward the
Message to [log in to unmask]  We have scanned this email
before sending it, but cannot guarantee that malicious software is
absent and we shall carry no liability in this regard.

We advise that information intended to be kept confidential should not
Be sent by email.  We also advise that health concerns should be
Discussed with a medical professional in person or by telephone.
NHS Direct can also provide advice.  We shall not be liable for any
failure to follow this advice. University College London Hospitals NHS
Foundation Trust (UCLH).