Dear all,

I’d very much appreciate help regarding how to calculate transferrin saturation (%) using measured molar concentrations of serum iron and transferrin.  I have found an equation, but only in ‘lecture notes’ and the like on the internet, and I would like to check this out…

We are considering adding this in to our iron studies report with serum iron, transferrin and ferritin.  Is this in keeping with others out there?

Assuming each transferrin molecule can bind two Fe3+ ions transferrin saturation can be calculated  ~

Transferrin saturation % = (iron mmol/L x 100)/(transferrin mmol/L x 2)

Thank you very much, best wishes, Lou

Louise Ward, Clinical Scientist, Bedford

www.bedfordhospital.nhs.uk

This email is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this email or take any action in reliance on its contents; to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this email has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation.

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/