From: Social History Curators Group email list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rhona Rodger
Sent: 19 April 2011 13:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SHCG-LIST] Fw: Re: Birds Eggs

This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. ---------------

My colleague David Lampard has provided some info below,

Rhona

Rhona Rodger

Curator (Social History)
The McManus: Dundee's Art Gallery and Museum
Albert Square,
Dundee
DD1 1DA

Tel: 01382 432373
email: [log in to unmask]

-----Forwarded by Rhona Rodger/Comm/dundeecity on 19/04/2011 01:07PM -----

To: [log in to unmask]
From: David Lampard/Comm/dundeecity
Date: 19/04/2011 01:03PM
Cc: Rhona Rodger/Comm/dundeecity@dundeecity, Julie Campbell/Comm/dundeecity@dundeecity
Subject: Birds Eggs

Hi

Rhona Rodger has passed this on. I have recently written an internal memo about the legal status of birds eggs which may help

Birds egg collections

Legal background

It has been illegal to collect wild birds eggs since 1954 under the Protection of Birds Act. It has been illegal to possess unlawfully obtained wild birds eggs since 1981 under the Wildlife and Countryside Act and it's amendments. Further minor amendments in protection are made in the The Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 and Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act 2004.

To summarise

Possessing a wild bird egg collected after 1954 is against the law unless it can be proved that it was obtained legally.

This means providing evidence that the eggs were collected before 1954 or obtained under a government research licence.

Usually the evidence is provided by data labels with the eggs or an eyewitness statement.

It is illegal to sell an egg collection, although it may be given to someone as a gift or donated to a museum..

Collecting policies.

Museums are interested in egg collections partially for their value as an identification aid, but the major value is in the information that they can tell us about bird distribution and breeding history. Old collections also have historic uses in explaining past attitudes to collecting, collectors and the attitudes of society to the environment.

We would only accept a birds egg collections if it came with collecting data i.e. what, where, when and by whom or it was a significant historical collection.

The RSPBhas a particular concern about egg collections and taxidermy believing that displays of these collections support existing collectors and encourages collecting amongst the general public, therefore promoting cruelty and illegal activities aginst birds.

I think most museums stopped displaying eggs partially for the same reason thatwe stopped displaying butterflies and shells in endless rows.  They were presented as decorative, collectable objects, an approach which went out of fashion. However it explained nothing about the birds ie habitat lifestyle, conservation status etc..

We currently have birds eggs on display as part of a case interpreting an archaeologicalmidden excavation.

As long as the collection you have is held legally and there is a sound reason for the display there is no ethical reason for not displaying the egg collection. In fact it could be a way of discussing past and present attitudes to wildlife rather than covering up the fact that egg collecting was once considered a perfectly acceptable hobby.

David Lampard
Curator (Geology and Zoology)
the McManus: Dundee's Art Gallery & Museum
Dundee City Council
Albert Square, Meadowside
Dundee, DD1 1DA
Tel: 01382 432384
email [log in to unmask]

This email and any files transmitted with it is confidential and
intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
read, copy or disseminate the information or take any action in
reliance on it and it would be appreciated if you would also notify
the sender by reply email and then delete this email immediately.
All messages passing out of this gateway are checked for
viruses but Dundee City Council strongly recommends that you
check for viruses using your own virus scanner as the Council
will not take responsibility for any damage caused as a result of
virus infection.

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST