Dear Variationist List,

I have a question in response to Joel Wallenberg's post about /l/ in the word "both" in California (and an open-o). I definitely have the "bolth" pronunciation--grew up in central Iowa. How widespread is "bolth"?

Jim Stanford

-Dartmouth

>Date:    Mon, 11 Apr 2011 23:37:59 +0000

>From:    Joel Wallenberg <[log in to unmask]>

>Subject: Re: VAR-L Digest - 7 Apr 2011 to 11 Apr 2011 (#2011-32)

>I haven't ever noticed the "calm", "palm" thing, but I have met Californians

>(San Franciscans) who have /l/ following /ou/ in "both", which then triggers

>shortening of the vowel to open-o (which I believe is a productive rule in

>my dialect before /l/ and /r/).  I don't know where "bolth" comes from,

>though I wonder if it has to do with /l/-vocalization.  I know Lauren

>Hall-Lew has studied /l/-vocalization in San Francisco...

>Best,

>Joel Wallenberg

The Variationist List - discussion of everything related to variationist sociolinguistics.

To send messages to the VAR-L list (subscribers only), write to:

To unsubscribe from the VAR-L list, click the following link:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=VAR-L&A=1