From: Variationist List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Suzanne Evans Wagner
Sent: 12 April 2011 15:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Using private, commercial corpora

Hi everyone,

One of my students plans to use a corpus (audio and transcripts) of doctor-patient conversations that were recorded by a private company. We have signed the company's in-house legal agreement so that we could obtain initial access to this corpus. The data look great, so the student would like to use them as the basis for long-term work. However, there's always the possibility that the company might choose to withdraw access down the road, and this is a concern.

Does anyone have experience of managing these kinds of relationships? What additional legal documentation did you draw up, if any? How was your local IRB involved?

Thanks,
Suzanne

Dr. Suzanne Evans Wagner
Assistant Professor of Linguistics