While possibly a humorous note to lighten up Mark's comment--which was spot on from an empirical paradigm after a kind--perhaps a future turn in this field might be similar to what Claire Kramsch (2009)has developed for SLA, a qualitative study of subjectivity, intersubjectivity, and subject position from data on multilingual speakers, including self-studies. Surely the subjective dimensions of this field do not only intrigue us--if at all--because of the political interface among the players--bigotry, bias, and sound, correct?

Arieh (Ari) Sherris, PhD
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Building 18, Room 3238
Thuwal, Saudi Arabia

My Google pages: https://sites.google.com/site/arisherris/

 Website: http://www.kaust.edu.sa