I have [l] in all those pre-/k/-environment words, and strongly enough
that i've had no-lx-background students point it out as weird to them.

Interestingly, i may be from the same dialect region as you, according
to Kurath and friends (Virginia Piedmont), depending on where in
Northern Virginia you're from. (I'm from Southern Maryland.)

--
David Bowie