On 06/04/2011 17:40, Stephen Burke wrote:
> Testbed Support for GridPP member institutes
>> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andrew McNab said:
>> Yes to all of the above. I'm not arguing against
>> hyperthreading - just
>> saying it's not true that "hyperthreaded CPUs and cores are
>> effectively the same thing".
>
> The question is whether they're effectively the same for the purpose
> of measuring resource usage, i.e. that you calculate the HEPSPEC by
> running cores*hyperthreads copies of the benchmark, and then "charge"
> the jobs for using HEPSPEC*time resources (assuming that the system
> is full of jobs at the time). If you think that's wrong, what do you
> think it should be?

The definition should be able to take account of, for example, scenarios
like having more job slots than cores but less job slots than
cores*hyperthreads. You can easily imagine sites limiting themselves
that way for memory reasons. It matters whether job slots are occupying
extra cores or just extra hyperthreads.

  Andrew

Dr Andrew McNab, High Energy Physics, University of Manchester