The limiting factor is probably the registration between functional
and structural images.  Skull stripping and bias correction of
anatomical images sometimes helps, but the main thing to sort out is
the nonlinear distortion in the EPI data.  The field mapping toolbox
can be of help for this, but it requires additional data to be
collected.

Another possibility, which works for some data, is to do the
segmentation and Dartel registration directly on the fMRI.  Carlton,
my former PhD student, uses this approach quite a lot, and finds that
it can work fairly well.  However, if your fMRI data have very large
dropout artifacts, the results may not be quite so good.

Best regards,
-John