A couple of comments:

(1) VBM will determine differences in volume and/or tissue probability. If
you want to know about thickness, then you should use Freesurfer.

(2) You need a set of normal control subjects scanned with the same protocol
to make group comparisons. A template image will only provide a space to
which images can be normalized. You won't be able to use the template to
find out if your group is different from healthy control subjects.

(3) You need to more specific about what you want to do with your ROIs and
what type of ROIs you are wanting to create.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Office: (773) 406-2464