Dear Donald,
Thank you for your prompt response. One more query. Are we right in assuming
that items are weighted in a parametric modulation by the number that they
are assigned (e.g. easy = 1, hard = 2)?

If this is true, provided your previous response, the contrast 0, 1 gives a
linear increase from easy to hard (i.e. items weighted 1 to 2) while by
comparison, a contrast of 0 -1 gives a linear decrease from easy to hard
(i.e. items weighted 1 to 2)?

A linear decrease does not mean a linear decrease from items rated 2 to 1?
Correct?

Best,
Elsa Baena & Siobhan Hoscheidt, M.A.

--