**** Apologies for cross-posting ****

The I2S2 project is pleased to announce the availability of 2 benefits
use cases:
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/projects/I2S2/documents/I2S2_BenefitUseCases_final.pdf

The Infrastructure for Integration in Structural Sciences (I2S2) project
is identifying
requirements for a data-driven research infrastructure in ‘Structural
Science’, focusing
primarily on the domains of Chemistry and Crystallography. A key aim of
I2S2 has
been to develop use cases that examine the business processes of
research, identify
the costs and benefits of the integrated approach proposed by I2S2, and
explore
perspectives of “scale and complexity” and “research discipline”
throughout the data
lifecycle. During the course of the project, the complementary but often
different
perspectives of researchers and central facilities in terms of benefits
were also
recognised as significant and built into the use cases.

The I2S2 Cost/Benefit Use Case 1 (National Crystallography Service)
traverses
administrative boundaries between institutions and address issues of
scale (local lab
to mid-range national facility to national Diamond synchrotron) and
provides a central
service perspective of benefits. I2S2 Cost/Benefit Use Case 2 (Prof
Martin Dove,
University of Cambridge) applies the approach to Mineral Sciences and
interactions
between individuals, collaborative research groups and facilities, and
provides a
researcher’s perspective of benefits.

Each use case forms the source material for the Benefits Case Studies
contributed by the
project to the Managing Research Data Programme Benefits Synthesis Report.

--
Best wishes,
	Manjula