From: email list for Radical Statistics [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ted Harding [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 April 2011 11:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: statistical trivia

Going back to Robert's original message:

At 08:27 14/04/2011 +0100, Moore, Robert wrote:
> Helping my grandchildren clear up last weekend I collected
> six assorted dice and tossed them into the games box.
> The dice landed 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
> This looked like a quite remarkable outcome and my immediate
> thought was that there must be huge odds against this. But
> is the outcome of this throw any more or less likely than
> any other?

The statement of the the situation leaves something to the
imagination, but on "plausibility" grounds I interpret it
as describing that Robert picked up 6 dice and threw them
all at once into the box. Then he noticed that they were
all different.

The chance of "all different" without distinguishing between
the individual dice can be calculated as follows. For the
sake of argument, suppose they are all different colours:
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and take them
in "spectral order".

The Red one will be whatever it turns out to be, P = 6/6.
The Orange one has to be different from the Red, P = 5/6.
The Yellow one has to be different from both Red & Orange,
for which P = 4/6. And so on, so the the probability that
they are all different is:

  (6*5*4*3*2*1)/(6*6*6*6*6*6) = 0.0154321 = 1/64.8

So, if I have correctly interpreted Robert's description,
the "all different" outcome is not that unlikely. John
wrote: "However, I bet you couldn't do it again :-)".
In that case, then my apologies, Robert, for blowing your
chances of a very profitable bet with John.

However, if (as is possibly compatible with Robert's
description) he picked up the dice one by one from various
places and, as he picked up each one, he threw it into the
box, and then observed that, in the order in which he threw
them, he observed that they came up 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, then
that is very unlikely indeed: Prob = 1/(6^6) = 0.000021433
or 1/46656.

This may be what John was thinking of -- in which case I
think Robert could easily have got John to accept odds of
10000:1. Apologies again!

This question raises a wider issue. Robert noticed the
pattern "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6". There might be other patterns
which could catch his eye -- "all equal" is one, of course,
but that really is unlikely -- 1/(6^5) -- but say three
equal to one value, the other three equal to another value,
might also be eye-catching; I make the chance of this to be
100/(6^5) = 0.01286008 = 1 in 77.76, also not that unlikely.

So the chance that Robert might observe some "coincidence"
sufficiently eye-catching to prompt him to write to us could
be quite high. Noticing a "coincidence" of some previously
unspecified kind is, in real life, not at all unlikely!

While I'm at it, I quite like the "54321" in the above result

  (6*5*4*3*2*1)/(6*6*6*6*6*6) = 0.0154321

(Pity about the preceding "1" though; I'd have preferred "6").

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[log in to unmask]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 14-Apr-11                                       Time: 11:20:14

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.