to decide exactly what one would hope that the voting system would achieve - that sounds to me like a rather simple question.

A voting system should ensure that the MPs elected are representative.

Representative means having the active support or, secondarily, assent of the majority of voters.

People who do not have the active support or can demonstrate assent from a majority should not be declared elected.

Many of us have come across people who put expediency first rather than the necessity of convincing the people of their views. I'd see FTPT supporters as rejecting the view that they needed to obtain the support of the people to be in power - only enough to be one vote ahead of others even if their total vote was below 30%.

Paul

Paul Bivand
Head of Analysis and Statistics
Direct Line: 020 7840 8335

Inclusion
3rd floor, 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP
Tel: 020 7582 7221
Fax: 020 7582 6391
Inclusion website: http://www.cesi.org.uk/

Consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient please return the e-mail to the sender and delete from your mailbox.

The Centre for Economic & Social Inclusion is a company limited by guarantee. Registered in England & Wales number 2458694. Registered address: 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP