The Institute of Physics Schools and Colleges Lecture has been delivered by a series of acclaimed physics communicators on an annual basis throughout Great Britain for over twenty years. The lecture uses demonstrations and interactivity to enthuse students and show how their classroom science relates to modern fields of physics.

We are currently looking for an enthusiastic and inspiring physicist to produce and deliver the 2012 talk to audiences primarily of 14-16 year olds at approximately 35 venues organised by the Institute (this usually involves at least two talks per venue). The talks take place throughout the calendar year and can be arranged to accommodate any other commitments the lecturer has.

Past talks have included:

The Science of Seeing Inside Your Body – Dr Michael Wilson, University Hospital Birmingham
Powering the Future: The Physics of Fusion - Melanie Windridge
How to Explore the Universe - Andrew Newsam, Liverpool John Moores University
Rock in 11 Dimensions: Where Physics and Guitars Collide! - Mark Lewney
Light Fantastic: The Science of Colour - Pete Vukusic, University of Exeter Gravity, Gas and Stardust - Pete Edwards, Durham University
Our Planet, Our Future - Karen Bultitude, Laura Grant

You can watch some of the previous lectures and see this year’s tour itinerary by visiting www.iop.org/schoolslecture.

Existing talks will be considered if they have not toured nationally. In the past the Institute has funded the tour with around £20k but we are happy to assist the presenter in seeking further funding if desired.

If you are interested in taking on this prestigious role for 2012 please send us a two page proposal before Friday 13th May 2011 outlining the talk topic, your previous experience and indicative costs. We are looking for proposals from all areas of physics but are particularly interested in the area of physics and sport to tie in with the 2012 Olympics.

We will select a shortlist and these people will be asked to present a short talk at the Institute's offices in London. It is anticipated these will take place during the first two weeks of June.

For queries or to submit a proposal please contact:

Clare Mills
Project Coordinator
Education Department
Institute of Physics