Hi Ian,
I agree with your points and I believe neuroscience research seems to support the idea that our brain works by associations and relationships between various concepts and ideas. Linear note taking and representation of concepts and topics is closer to the way a computer deals with information, a mind map seems to be far more effective at representing the way we learn and make associations. Other interesting results came from the use of images and how much more effective the brain is at remembering images than any other form of information, hence the insistence of Tony Buzan in making large use of image in a mind map! As to one word branches, I think that is a very important aspect in mind mapping! Take for example the concept of speed, if you are writing "constant speed" all in one branch, you have limited that branch to only one aspect and you cannot link it to anything else apart from concepts related to constant speed. But if you have a batch for speed and a sibling branch for constant attached to it, you can link other branches to the speed branch, like increasing, stopped, slow, fast... And you have increased the possible associations you can make with speed!
Alessio.

Sent from my iPhone

Alessio Bernardelli
IoP Network Coordinator (Gloucestershire)
109 Maes Y Coed Rd
CF14 4HE

Mobile: 07527528088

Twitter: www.twitter.com/asober