We have just launched a new project - Maths in the City - to reveal the maths hiding in our urban surroundings.  The project is led by Marcus du Sautoy and is based at the University of Oxford.  We are working with a team of volunteer mathematicians to develop walking tours of Oxford and London taking the public on a mathematical adventure of the city.

But we need everyone’s help!  We are running a competition, open to all, asking people to share their mathematical stories of the city. It might be a piece of interesting architecture, a mathematical sculpture or the maths behind something more mundane, such as traffic lights.  We’re looking for:

• interesting examples of maths in the urban environment,
• clear explanations of some maths you see in your city,
• great demonstrations of your mathematical ideas on the street.

Winning entries will become part of our virtual mathscape of cities around the world and will help Marcus and the team develop their walking tours.  And, of course, you can win great prizes including

●      a subscription to Nature, kindly provided by Nature Publishing Group,
●      best-selling popular science books, including the “Last Word” series kindly donated by New Scientist,
●      having a mathematical object named after you,
●      and showcasing your entry with other finalists at an event in Oxford on 18 June with Marcus and his team.

Anyone is welcome to enter the competition — young, old, students, teachers, researchers, member of the public, journalists... — and the stories can come from any city across the UK or around the world. The competition is open for entries from 4 April  to 3 May 2011.  You can find all the details at http://www.mathsinthecity.com

If anyone has any suggestions on promoting the competition please do get in touch.  And please feel free to enter yourselves!

Best wishes,

Rachel

As I am part-time on the project, I usually read and respond to emails on Tuesdays.  If you have an urgent query regarding Maths in the City, please contact Sara Tindall <[log in to unmask]>.

Rachel Thomas
Public Engagement Officer, Maths in the City
Technology-Assisted Lifelong Learning (TALL)
Uni
versity of Oxford
Department for Continuing Education
Ewert House
Ewert Place
Summertown
Oxford OX2 7DD
United Kingdom
t: +44 (0) 1865 280978
f: +44 (0) 1865 280982
e: [log in to unmask]
w: http://www.tall.ox.ac.uk

Follow Maths in the City on Twitter!  http://twitter.com/mathsinthecity

********************************************************************** Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html You may also change your settings and subscribe/unsubscribe to psci-com from the web site.

Psci-com is part of the National Academic Mailing List Service, known as 'JISCMail'. It adheres to the JISCMail Acceptible Use Policy: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/acceptableuse.html and to the JISCMail guidelines for etiquette: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/etiquette.html

Email commands: 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate. Remember that you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com. To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]