Dear Francois, Karen and list,
Glad that this reference is of some help. I found a much lengthier original article from which this one came from. The original article is on the Associated Press website and the design reference is even clearer.
Couldn't agree more, Francois. A heavily depended upon criterion for design today has to do with the idea of 'performance'--and much of this is comprised of either immediate benefits or short-term impacts. In any case, if we are looking to design artifacts in order to warn future generations, as a rule of thumb we are neither doing well nor good. It is in all frankness a field of design we should very much want to avoid?
And yes Karen, I am from Singapore.
Best,
Jeff