Dear Andy,

Thank you for your message, and thank you for the reference to your work.

You wrote, ' Designers have a method, but because it is poorly articulated
we have problems speaking with, relating to and selling the value of
synthesis to those aforementioned people (not to mention teaching it).'

I'm suggesting, with an overview of the last 50 years of literature on
design and design research,  that the approaches that have been attempted in
de design field to understand and theorise about design activity have
neither been successful in the above, nor in improving design practice
significantly. The exception has been the scientific design research which
has focused, in an engineering research fashion, primarily on the properties
of problems and the characteristics of solutions. This latter has been
successful in improving design activity primarily by taking design
activities out of the hands of designers and automating them via computer
software.

From that perspective on the design literature, I'm suggesting the central
foundations of design research and explaining design practice have not
worked. The result has been a design literature unhelpfully digging a deeper
and deeper hole in the wrong place.

The questions of the moment, therefore, are to ask: 1) which foundational
theory perspectives that are currently used in design research and
descriptions of design are fundamentally unhelpful? 2) Why? And  3) Is there
a foundational theory perspective that offers more potential in rebuilding
from scratch a new body of explanation and theory about how design
activities can be understood and the behaviour of their outcomes can be
better forecasted?

For such a new theory frame for design research to be successful, the
primary criteria of its comprehensiveness is whether it can explain and
predict mistakes and failures in individuals design activities and in the
development of designs that fail.

For some time now, I've suggested that there is a need to move away from a
'self'-based body of theory-making with its attendant focus on 'emotions',
'psychology and cognition' ,  'design thinking' and the romance of self;
and that Ethology in combination  with other perspectives that focus on
understanding human designing in the way that we would observe the complex
behaviours of a relatively unstudied animal, offers a better starting point
for a rebuilding of  design theory and the literature of design research.

This differs from simply digging a deeper hole by trying to explain a
process that you see is the 'black box' of creativity in the terms of 'our'
(self-focused and interpreted) 'decision making process'.

The problem I've sketched above also applies to the current body of theories
in fields such as business, management, policy-making and engineering. It
is, and these areas face, the same problem. Hence, arguing that design
researchers should address things the same way, which hasn't worked for any,
is not obviously helpful.

An example of the above issues, you already identified on your website in
relation to the concept of 'play'. The above approach offers a way to
resolve the problems you identified with that concept.

Best wishes,
Terry
____________________
Dr. Terence Love, FDRS, AMIMechE, PMACM, MISI

Senior Lecturer,  Design
Researcher, Social Program Evaluation Research Unit
Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia
Mob: 0434 975 848, Fax +61(0)8 9305 7629, [log in to unmask]

Senior Lecturer, School of Design and Art,
Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia

Director, Design-based Research Unit and Design Out Crime Research Centre

Member of International Scientific Council UNIDCOM/ IADE, Lisbon, Portugal

Honorary Fellow, Institute of Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development
Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK