Dear Terry,

yes, a guess, but also a taking away. That is, one can make another
guess within a cycle of induction/deduction. Which will take us into the
areas of grounded theory and most forms of literary analysis (read the
book, think about it, make a guess, read the book again, take away the
first guess, guess again based on the first guess and the second
reading, read the book etc.)

As Wiki tells us:

The philosopher Charles Sanders Peirce (pronounced /*p*rs/ like
"purse") (1839*1914) introduced abduction into modern logic. Over the
years he called such inference hypothesis, abduction, presumption, and
retroduction. He considered it a topic in logic as a normative field in
philosophy, not in purely formal or mathematical logic, and eventually
as a topic also in economics of research.

The retroduction covers this sense of taking away the starting point
and reinforces the AB part of ab-duction.

I take Peirce's approach to be similar to that of Aristotle, in the
Rhetoric. That is, Peirce is attempting to account for how we all go
about the business of reasoning and he comes up with abduction;
Aristotle is attempting to account for how we mostly go about arguing
and he comes up with the the Enthymeme (a syllogism minus one of its
arguments because the audience assumes the missing bit). Enthymeme
means: to have in the mind.

So I guess they were both being pragmatists?

cheers

keith

Hi Fil, Andy and all,
Peirce was perhaps the main original proponent and definer of
abduction.
His definition of 'abduction' was 'to guess' - nothing more complex.
This suggests that the value of the concept of abduction is limited in
design research unless one creates a whole lot more theory
sophistication
about the activity of 'making a guess'.
In which case, using the term (and concept of)  'abduction'  (with its
limited meaning) isn't that helpful.
Best wishes,
Terry