Dear Fred,

Glad you found us. Your response is confirmation that it was a good idea to post to the oer-discuss list since I was a bit concerned that I may be spamming the group.

The installation requirements that you have listed in your message are for OERca http://open.umich.edu/wiki/OERca which is our home grown content analysis tool that is used internally and by several other institutions to prepare content and ensure that we aren't infringing copyright on the content we publish as OER. Document decomposition is the term we use to describe the extraction of embedded content from Word, Powerpoint, or PDF files that are uploaded to OERca. We can extract content from single files and from zip archives that contain such files.

OERbit http://open.umich.edu/wiki/OERbit is the newly released publishing platform that we use for all the OER and related materials that we make available at http://open.umich.edu. It's the software that runs the site. It does include Drupal 6.20 and so you need not install Drupal separately.

If you'd like to just kick the tires and see how it works, you can download the demo packages that I have mentioned below. These packages are completely self contained and you need not install any other software. They include Apache, MySQL and PHP in addition to the base Drupal install and all the modules we have used.

Hope this answers your questions and if you have any further questions, please consider joining the Google Groups for whichever tool you are interested in exploring.

The group for OERca is at http://groups.google.com/group/oerca

The OERbit group is at http://groups.google.com/group/oerbit

by your joining the group, we benefit from the archiving functionality provided by Google Groups and we automatically get a searchable history of the discussions about each project.

Best,
Ali Asad