On 17 Apr 2011, at 22:55, Pat Lockley wrote:

> On 17/04/2011 11:05, Alex Lydiate wrote:
>> At which point, I guess, we're talking again of an aggregation of resources.

This was the number one topic in Learning Objects over the previous decade so there is a lot of prior work.

OER is principally about licensing. OER's aren't necessarily Learning Objects.

>> We would also be talking, I suppose, of prescribing that most other resources are stored in Git, those that it can handle, whilst those it can't are elsewhere?  Which is not really part of the whole 'publish anywhere' tip, unless what we end up putting into Git is a collection of description files.
>>
>> I think I am not diverted from the OAI-ORE trail :)
>
> Maybe if we step back we can visualise this in a different way.
>
> OAI-ORE is good for describing a finished project, and git is handy for working projects.
>
> So lets say you want to start making an OER tomorrow.

I use Github a lot - I'm quite a fan. But then again I'm a software engineer. I think one of the big problems with ed tech has been trying to make teachers think and work like developers.

Wikis are a more natural fit for writing - especially collaborating on open textbooks. Which is a another kind of OER again. Then again I've co-written papers using Word docs in Dropbox, Google Docs, and Mediawiki. Lots of options.

Ultimately whenever I've made materials for teaching with I've ended up using Powerpoint..!

Can OER tech move towards teachers and learners existing practice, rather than require changing practice using the tech?