Hi folks,

As I mentioned earlier today we're delighted to see such lively discussion around the four proposals we received for the open strand of the Mini Projects call.  However I can't deny that we're a little disappointed and bemused that there were no bids for the other two strands.  Particularly given these two projects aimed to explore issues identified by the community during CETIS events such as #cetisrow and #cetiswmd and which had arisen from the JISC / HEA OER Programmes.

Just to refresh your memories, the projects in question are:

1. Analysis of Learning Resource Metadata Records

The aim of this mini project is to identify those descriptive characteristics of learning resources that are frequently recorded / associated with learning resources and that collection managers deem to be important.  The project will undertake a semantic analysis of a large corpus of educational metadata records to identify what properties and characteristics of the resources are being described.

2.  Search Log Analysis

Many sites hosting collections of educational materials keep logs of the search terms used by visitors to the site when searching for resources. The aim for this mini project is to develop a simple tool that facilitates the analysis of these logs to classify the search terms used with reference to the characteristics of a resource that may be described in the metadata.

We still feel that these are important pieces of work so in an attempt to understand why no bids were submitted I'd greatly appreciate it if folk would take a few minutes to answer the following questions.  You can send your responses to the list or directly to me in person.

1. Do you think these projects are not important, or not of value to your community or institution?
2. Do you think these projects are not achievable?
3. Do you think these  are interesting projects but didn't know how to approach them?
4. Do you lack the skills or resources to undertake projects of this kind?
5. Were you put off by the bidding procedure?
6. Were you put off by the level of funding?
7. Did you just not get round to writing a  proposal?

If you have any other comments or suggestions regarding this call please do let us know.  We'd really welcome your feedback so we can  be more effective in attempting to tailor any future calls to meet community requirements.

Cheers
Lorna
--
Lorna M. Campbell
JISC CETIS Assistant Director

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, number SC015263.