Alright, here's a scenario - I'm a teacher, and I want make me an OER
concerning, say, recording music. Parts of this OER will remain the same
for years on end, such as microphone placement, or compression
techniques.  But, the constituent resource concerning multi-track
recording has moved on; where as before we were focused on one bit of
kit, or one software package, or whatever, now we're using the
newfangled thought-controlled MindCubase.

The OER remains the same, one part of it's content has moved on. In this
instance, the idea of an OER as an aggregation is perfectly real, and
the idea of describing it as such surely makes sense.  Not a 'red herring'.

What if the constituent parts are used in different aggregations?  Is
this of real interest, and to who, and why?  If it is, then a mechanism
is required to describe it, and we're onto the formal metadata debate,
but we're not proving OAI-ORE of no value.  If it is not, then there's
your red herring.

--
Alex Lydiate
Software&  Systems Developer