Hi all,

This is as good a point to jump in as any. We thought an introduction to the
list might be a good thing.

We've been following the OER community in the UK for awhile now. We've been
talking with Malcolm Read and Sarah Porter about how best to get involved,
and to find projects of common interest. We've followed David Flanders' and
John Robertson's work at JISC. So the entire mini-projects seem like a good
way to get started.

Apropos of much of the recent list discussion--I've taken the intent of the
mini-projects at face value. To do a few small focused projects, to result
in working code, doing something useful. With respect to metadata and search
logs, yes one could do a lot more. But we need to get to the "doing" part,
one of our mottos is "working code trumps all." (Those of you that know us
know that we've "been there and done that" with educational repositories,
digital libraries, educational metadata, and so on.)

The "we" here are a couple groups here across the pond.

- MIT Office of Educational Innovation and Technology [1]: It's easiest to
think of what we do as scaling up of educational innovations. OEIT is
academic computing without early stage educational research and without
responsibility for managing the VLE/LMS (though we developed the one that's
currently in use at MIT). Our biggest completed software project in the
"open" space has been the Open Knowledge Initiative. One of our current
projects is what we're calling Project Greenfield [2]. The idea with
Greenfield is seeing what can we do with MIT OpenCourseWare content to make
it more course-like, and less publication-like.

- Tatamae Consulting: These are the guys behind much of the really cool
projects that were developed by COSL if you've heard of them. The
Folksemantic project set, Send2Wiki, OCWFinder, OERrecommender. They're
still supporting OERrecommender (which has been rebadged under
Folksemantic.com [3]), and they've got a new project called OERGlue. They're
also did some work on TwHistory [4] with Talis funding.

Also by way of introduction, OpenLearn is currently using the OERrecommender
recommendations on its pages. And OEIT has a new project that's with
OpenLearn that is in the process of being funded.

On behalf of my colleagues Vijay Kumar, Jeff Merriman, Justin Ball and Joel
Duffin,

Brandon Muramatsu
MIT, Office of Educational Innovation and Technology

[1] http://oeit.mit.edu/
[2] http://greenfield.mit.edu/
[3] http://www.folksemantic.com/
[4] http://twhistory.org/