My personal stress at the moment is that people think we have all solutions to all sorts of issues, the medicalsiation of every problem (stress et al) . Maybe its a compliment and we are victims of our own success. I would like to think so - Which brings us back to the age old issue of supervision and who cares for the carer? Resiliance is key - but how do we come by this? OH practioners often blamed for organisational failings/sackings/management of change/lack of support and it can get very personal as inherently we want to "do something". I can honestly say  OH is more persoannly stressful than when I worked in (eg) palliative care/itu because the expectations/responsibilities for the outcome were different.  Its deffo not an easy option....

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 21:12:23 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Diabetes & Equality Act
To: [log in to unmask]

I get many phone calls each month asking about our OH degree. On questioning them is pretty obvious that some of the enquirers considering a move into OH for the wrong reason.  If only I had a pound for each person who, when asked, tell me they want to leave midwifery/acute nursing etc because they want a job with less stress. I soon put them right ¡V OH is stressful but it is different to the stress experienced in acute clinical areas. OH is challenging, at times very challenging, but that is what makes it so stimulating. Many of us work in isolation, that is why JISC is such a valuable resource for peer support.

Anne