** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. ** MESSAGE FOLLOWS: Dear all,

A reminder that tomorrow at 2:30pm, Neil Cosgrove will present the seminar 'Co-operative Music Applications'.

The seminar will take place in room 209 in the Electronic Engineering building, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS. Directions on how to access the building can be found at http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/about/campus-map.php. If you are having problems entering, the lab phone number is +44 (0)20 7882 7480 and if I'm not available, anyone else in the lab should be able to help. If you are coming from outside Queen Mary, please let me know, so I can make sure no-one's stuck outside the doors. Details of future seminars can be found at http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/newsevents/researchgroupevents.php?i=12.

All are welcome to attend. For those unable to do so, a video recording of the seminar will be available online after a few days.

If you wish to be added to / removed from our mailing list, please send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Tomorrow's seminar (20 April, 2:30pm):

Title:
Co-operative Music Applications

Speaker:
Neil Cosgrove

Abstract:
Making music on your computer at home can be a lonely experience and designing co-operative music software that works on the internet can become both challenging and complex. The seminar will demonstrate a system that can mirror the studio experience across several computers. When designing such projects many decisions have to be made about both it's features and the functionality of the underlying model. The key areas that will be discussed are:
- what goes into the co-operative experience.
- designing a network protocol for such a system.
- synchronising clocks at different locations.
- how networking and it's inherent latency affects a consistent model.
The software been demonstrated works on Mac OS 10.4 or above. Participants are encouraged to bring their own laptops if they wish to join in on a live collaboration.

Bio:
Neil Cosgrove has 14 years of experience designing audio software in the SuperCollider language. Building on the knowledge gained from small and novel concepts, he now focuses on standalone applications. Been both a programmer and bedroom producer, he has always enjoyed both using and creating fun musical gadgets. As an independent developer he is an advocate of open source software and he is currently working on LNX_Studio, an application designed for networked music collaborations. Website: http://lnxstudio.sourceforge.net/

Emmanouil Benetos
--
Centre for Digital Music (C4DM)
School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science

C4DM Web-site : http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/digitalmusic/index.html