Workshop for Aspiring Academics

Wednesday 11th May 2011, University of Leeds

The registration deadline for the Aspiring Academics workshop, organised by the Subject Centre for Philosophical and Religious Studies, has been extended to 27th April.

Designed for research students in philosophy, theology, religious studies, biblical studies and history and philosophy of science, this workshop offers an opportunity for aspiring academics to gather and share information and advice, and to develop the skills necessary for a successful academic career. The event will be useful both for those already teaching and researching in departments, and those hoping to start their academic careers soon. It will also provide a chance to meet fellow post-grads and academics working in your field from all across the north of England and the rest of the UK.

This event is aimed at those who are planning a career in academia in the UK.

Contributors include:

·                Professor Shearer West (Director of Research, AHRC)

·                Dr Jason Turner (Dept of Philosophy, University of Leeds)

·                Dr Chris Renwick (Dept of History, University of York)

·                Dr Keith Crome (Dept of Politics and Philosophy, Manchester Metropolitan University)

·                Dr Mel Prideaux (Dept of Theology and Religious Studies, University of Leeds)

·                Dr Rebecca O’Loughlin (Subject Centre for Philosophical and Religious Studies)

·                Dr Richard Gunn (Subject Centre for Philosophical and Religious Studies)

·                Plus one more speaker in Theology & Religious Studies TBC

Topics covered will include:

·         Views of the 21st century research landscape – including changing / influential factors in academic life, funding opportunities and getting on to the academic career ladder

·         Getting published as an early-career scholar

·         Subject-specific approaches to curriculum design

These events have proved to be exceptionally popular in the past, with attendees commenting:

·         “I thought the event was very useful, and presented me with novel information that I had not been given at my own institution.”

·         “I thought the event was successful in ways that other similar events have failed. The speakers were engaging, the topics were appropriate, and many relevant subjects were covered.”

·         “I found it an excellent day, and very useful in terms of input as well as networking.”

The event, including lunch and refreshments, is provided at no charge. The sessions will begin at 11.00am and finish by 4pm. Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis and in the past have filled up very quickly.  We will operate a waiting list should the event become fully booked.

For full programme and registration go to: http://prs.heacademy.ac.uk/view.html/prsevents/490

Please note that a fee of £50 will be charged for cancellations after 27th April.

The workshop will be held at the University of Leeds.

Dr Richard C Gunn

Academic Co-ordinator (Philosophy & HPS)

Subject Centre for Philosophical and Religious Studies

School of Humanities

University of Leeds

LS2 9JT