Was Cesare bishop or the "administrator" of the see to get its revenues?
Tom Izbicki

From: "John Briggs" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, April 8, 2011 9:14:59 AM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Retirement for clergy in the MA

On 07/04/2011 01:12, Paul Chandler wrote:

> John asks if Cesare Borgia was ever ordained. He was appointed archbishop of
> Valencia when his father was elected pope in 1492 (he was 17, and had
> previously been bishop of Pamplona for a year). According to David Cheney's
> Catholic Hierarchy website -- whose accuracy I can't vouch for but have no
> reason to doubt -- he was ordained priest when he was 8<
> http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/bdeborjac.html>.

I have every reason to doubt it - for a start, the whole entry is
demonstrably inaccurate. Being ordained a priest at the age of 8 is just
not credible. The old Catholic Encyclopedia says that Cesare never "took
Orders". [It is not explained exactly what is meant by that, which in
any case is stated during an attempted whitewash of Alexander VI.]

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]