Hi, Meg

On Sunday, April 24, 2011, at 4:20 pm, you wrote:

> The images John provides below would appear to be the Orthodox version
> of the Harrowing of Hell,
> which I asked about earlier in the year (thanks to those who
> responded, the books have been ordered
> but I haven't had time to read them yet!) The one from Chios appears
> to be oldest (given that the first
> is a restoration) and also most interesting iconographically - but an
> art historian I am not! Some
> commentary on the characters present would be welcome. Does anyone
> know how old this motif is,
> and whether  (as a Greek friend of mine is sure to tell me) it was
> borrowed from the west? Who are the individuals
> being resurrected in this image?

Here again is the Anastasis mosaic in the katholikon of the Nea Moni on Chios:
http://tinyurl.com/2akm4zb

Those being saved are patriarchs and the other just of past ages.  The kings at front left are David and Solomon and the man and woman at front right are Adam and Eve.

> I'm also curious as to why the
> resurrection would be celebrated on Holy Saturday.

This stems from a division of the Resurrection into two aspects, one encompassing Christ's triumph over death before His resurrection in the flesh and the other Christ's bodily resurrection and His initial appearances to mortals.  The former is celebrated on Great (or Holy) Saturday, the latter on Easter Sunday.

I had written:
> Fresco (1330s) in the church of the Hodegetria in the Patriarchate of
> Peæ at Peæ in, depending on one's view of the matter, either the
> Republic of Kosovo or Serbia's province of Kosovo and Metohija:
> http://tinyurl.com/2drcobt

For the composition as a whole from which that image was taken (incl. more of the Harrowing of Hell), see the expandable images on the lower half of the page here:
http://tinyurl.com/22lqcsa

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]