I looked in the Gregorian Decretals last night. There is a whole title De clericis coniugatis in book III. Decretals of Alexander III and Innocent III say essentially that clerics in minor orders cabn marry, but they have to give up their benefices.
Tom Izbicki

From: "Christopher Crockett" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:02:32 AM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Retirement for clergy in the MA

From: John Briggs <[log in to unmask]>

>A canon needn't have been in Major Orders

yes, the fellow that is mentioned by Orderic as being a canon of Chartres with
a wife was also a (famous) doctor.

>Sub-Deacon didn't become a Major Order until the end of the 12th century -
and this is almost certainly linked to the issue of celibacy.

and Bishop Ivo of Chartres' wrath over the married Deacon of his church was,
undoubtedly, one of the forces which led to this change --though i've never
read his commentaries on canon law on this subject.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]