medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture It might also be pointed out that at about the same time as the present apse mosaic in S. Clemente, an iconography was being formalized for the Tree of Jesse, the top of which featured Christ surrounded by seven doves, representing in this case the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Cheers,
Jim