SYMPOSIUM ON BILL DOUGLAS

Call For Papers

On Friday 23rd September The Bill Douglas Centre for the History of Cinema and Popular Culture at the University of Exeter will be hosting a one day symposium on the life and work of Bill Douglas, to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of his death this year. We are pleased to announce that Dr Karen Lury from the University of Glasgow has agreed to be our keynote speaker and we are now putting out a call for papers for other presentations at the symposium.

Papers should be twenty minutes long and can cover any aspect of Bill’s life, career, and collection:  Subjects could include (but not be restricted to):

The Bill Douglas Trilogy

Comrades

Bill Douglas’s unfilmed scripts

Bill Douglas and Peter Jewell’s Collection of Cinema and Pre-Cinema artefacts

Bill Douglas and the film frame

Sound in Bill’s Douglas’s films

The role of autobiography

Childhood

European influences on Bill’s work

Bill’s place (or not) in the social realist tradition

Bill Douglas’s influence on contemporary filmmakers

Please send abstracts of no more than 200 words to [log in to unmask]  - deadline date is Friday 1st June.

Thanks

Phil

Phil Wickham

Curator

The Bill Douglas Centre for the History of Cinema and Popular Culture

University of Exeter

Old Library

Prince of Wales Road

Exeter