ISKO UK Biennial Conference 4th-5th July 2011
– Early Bird window finishes on April29th

Do join us at University College London on 4th-5th July for the second
biennial ISKO UK Conference, which honours the life and achievements of
Brian C Vickery, a pioneer in our field. Early Bird registration with
reduced fees is still available so long as the meeting fee is paid on or
before Friday 29th April. After that date the standard fees will be
payable until June 24th. You can find out more details of the event and
register via “Registration” on the conference site:
<http://www.iskouk.org/conf2011/index.htm>.

This will be a very full programme with the theme Facets of Knowledge
Organization, with 29 presentations as well as seven posters. Day One
includes a special session co-organized by our colleagues in the
European network of NKOS (Networked Knowledge Organization
Systems/Services). The topic, “What role can KOS play in information
retrieval applications?” was inspired by Brian Vickery’s long standing
interest in information retrieval. On the second day we shall hear from
several other speakers who have drawn on Vickery’s legacy.

This year the Proceedings will be published and sent to all those
attending the Conference, including not only the presented papers but
also a selection of papers either by, or about, Brian Vickery.

Our keynote speakers include Stephen Robertson, who, after leaving the
Aslib Research Department under Brian Vickery, spent many years leading
the Centre for Interactive Systems at City University and is now a
full-time researcher at the Microsoft Research Laboratory in Cambridge;
and Amanda Spink, recently appointed to the Chair in Information Science
at Loughborough University, moving from the School of Information
Sciences at the University of Pittsburgh. Details of the programme are
available on the website.

Places are limited and we look forward to welcoming you to a lively and
engaging event

ISKO is a not-for-profit scientific/professional association with the
objective of promoting research and communication in the domain of
knowledge organization, within the broad field of information science
and related disciplines. Founded in 2007, our UK Chapter has been
attracting lively and steadily growing audiences to its afternoon
meeting series as well as its very successful first conference in 2009.

Leonard Will

--
Dr Leonard D Will      27 Calshot Way, ENFIELD, EN2 7BQ, UK
[log in to unmask]              Tel: +44 (0) 20 8372 0092

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg