Fax : 020 - 7269 3084

From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jane Proctor
Sent: 05 April 2011 11:21
To: [log in to unmask]

Whilst our online subscriptions are managed via our subscription agents I am finding increasingly I need to manage our online subscriptions myself anyway - largely because access via our subscription agent is more limited and doesn't include things like early view access, which I can only get if I register directly with the publishers. It also means our users can only access the journals if they come in via the subscription agent's site and not via other means such as an internet search engine.

This has opened up a whole can of worms for me as a lot of the time the publishers and subscription agents disagree on the journals and years we should have access to, which is proving difficult to sort out.  But from my experience the publishers are a whole lot better at responding to my queries than our agents are and they generally come back with solutions much quicker - as Mike says, this means I feel more in control and I know what is going on rather than being left in the dark!

I can see the appeal of managing all our journal subscriptions ourselves - although overall I think managing separate subscriptions and invoices and claims with each individual publisher might be even more of an administrative headache than it is through the agents. The words rock and hard place come to mind...

Jane Proctor

Librarian

Northamptonshire NHS Provider Services

Richmond Library

William Kerr Building

Northampton General Hospital

Northampton

NN1 5BD

Tel:       01604 545929
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.library.northants.nhs.uk<http://www.library.northants.nhs.uk/>