From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 15 April 2011 14:15
To: Boulnois, Charlotte
Subject: Re: Copyright query - multiple copies

The second point is indeed interesting that you can make a copy from a
'legal' copy. I guess this means that a third person could not male a
copy from the second persons copy (aarrgghhh!).

I am also assuming that there are no quirks to Scottish Law on this that
do not apply to English Law.

regards

Rod

Rod Gegg
Senior Library Assistant
Library
Knowledge Spa
Royal Cornwall Hospital
Truro
TR1 3HD

tel: 01872 256444
fax: 01872 256442

www.cornwall.nhs.uk/library

RCH; CORN; LAW:COR

>>> "Boulnois, Charlotte" <[log in to unmask]>
15/04/2011 13:46 >>>

Hi Lesley

The NHS Scotland Copyright Licence has just been withdrawn so this
question has been raised a few times. Luckily we've Professor Oppenheim
advising us as to what we can and can't do under fair dealing and
library privilege. His answer to us was

*      The librarian must not make more than one copy of a given item
for a given patron - ever.  The librarian also must not make more than
one copy of a given item for different patrons if in the librarian's
opinion it is substantially for the same purpose and at substantially
the same time - instead, the librarian must refer the second requestor
to the first requestor and suggest the second requestor makes their own
fair dealing copy from the first requestor's copy.  This sort of
situation can easily arise when a lecturer recommends a particular item
to a class of students, and each student comes to the library and asks
for a copy of the item.  It may well also arise as a result of journal
club activities.  Note that the onus is on the librarian to make a
judgement as to whether the copies do seem to be for substantially the
same purpose and whether the timing is close.

*

We did then query the copying from a copy issue

In relation to library privilege, you have suggested that a second
requester of an item can be directed to the first one to make a copy
from that copy. Firstly, there are privacy/confidentiality issues about
telling third parties about someone's use of resources, but also, is
this not 'on-copying'? While each user may be entitled to make a fair
dealing copy for their private use, can they use a copy as the source,
rather than the original?

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT PRIVACY ISSUES.  IF THIS IS AN ISSUE, THEN ALL THE
LIBRARIAN CAN DO IS SIMPLY SAY "SORRY, NO, A COPY HAS ALREADY BEEN MADE
FOR SOMEONE ELSE" WITHOUT GIVING DETAILS.   YOUR SECOND POINT: THE COPY
MADE FOR THE FIRST PATRON IS A LEGAL COPY, AND SO THE SECOND PERSON IS
INDEED ABLE TO MAKE A FAIR DEALING COPY FROM THAT LEGAL COPY.

Hope this helps

Charlotte

Charlotte Boulnois

Library Services Manager (Resources)