I think I asked earlier (various individuals if not the whole list) about reliable ways of counting inlinks to repositories. I had lots of trouble getting the Google "site:" command to give me reliable data that seemed to make sense. I remembered that someone had once told me that Yahoo had a better response. I seemed to get good results using the Yahoo version of the "site:" command, which takes you to their Site Explorer. Click on the Inlinks tab, and I then include links TO the entire site, but exclude links FROM this subdomain (you can exclude from the domain to get incoming from outwith your institution). It's a tedious exercise, but it does seem to work.

No clear conclusions however, from the few I looked at; no strong correlation (sensed, not calculated) with numbers of records, although age does seem to be a big factor (not surprisingly). This is not surprising given:

a) the proportion of metadata-only records is rarely clear; there are fewer reasons to link to a metadata-only record

b) citations should always be to the authoritative version, whereas much IR content is second copies

c) the nature of the "stuff" in IRs is highly variable anyway.

--
Chris Rusbridge
Mobile: +44 791 7423828