Dear colleagues,

Since at the AGS several of you kindly asked how our centenary celebrations went, I copy below some links to our Newcastle School of Modern Languages Youtube account (by the way, quite a good way of promoting language also to the secondary schools – the videos include the DAAD-prizewinning video clip by one of our students, our VCs address to the Sommerfest last year etc.).

On the evening of the Centenary of the School of Modern Languages, students of all stages had staged a truly memorable performance: “Folklore from around the world". Under the direction of Sarah Kemp, a Newcastle Modern Languages Graduate, from the Théâtre sans Frontières, theys put together an evening of foreign fairytales, as entertaining as educational. Watch the four performances in German, French, Spanish and Chinese - and the grand all languages finale where there was a rap on the ‘cool School’! - to the Centenary Performance by our students.

Even though the highpoint with the Centenary Conference 'Transmissions' and the key note papers by Kate Adie and Charles Forsdick on Transmitting Languages: Disciplinary Identity and Public Understanding  are over, there are still three more conferences to come which we put under the Centenary heading since it became clear that celebrating is the best way forward...

Speaking of which: Many thanks to the colleagues from Queen Mary who organised such an upbeat and hugely enjoyable AGS meeting!

All the best, Henrike

Prof. Henrike Lähnemann * Chair of German Studies * School of Modern Languages, Newcastle University, GB - NE1 7RU Newcastle upon Tyne * Tel.: 0044 191 2227513, email * Website * Medingen project * Medieval and Early Modern Studies @ Newcastle * WIGS

Further events to come:

1.       Innovative Teaching and Learning at University Conference, on Friday 27th May 2011.

To celebrate 100 years of language teaching in Newcastle, the School of Modern Languages is organising a conference on enhancing the learning experience of Modern Languages students.

2.       "The Younger = The Better?", on 14/15 July 2011

This conference is the culmination of a 2-year project on the role played by age in the early classroom learning of French. The project has investigated linguistic development and attitudes in beginners aged 5, 7 and 11 following a similar curriculum taught by the same teacher. Deadline for poster submission is 1st May 2011, for registration 1st July 2011.

3.       Translating and Interpreting Conference, on 8-9 September 2011.

For the Text, Extra-text, Meta-text, and Para-text in Translation and Interpreting we invite papers on the implications of the texts (including graphics) which surround and support translations and interpreting. We welcome contrastive, comparative, analytical and critical studies of any aspect of text, extra-text, meta-text, and para-text attached to or applied to translation and interpreting.  This includes preface, foreword, epilogue, postscript, footnotes, endnotes, bio-notes, internal and external illustration, blurb, review, and publicity, layout, book jackets, and illustrations which accompany and affect translation or interpreting. CfP ends April 30th 2011.