Despite the transition of Macs to an Intel architecture, I wouldn't hold my breath for ArcGIS natively on the Mac anytime soon.

ArcGIS within Parallels on a Mac is a workable, if not elegant, solution, provided you have access to ArcGIS.

Nathan

From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Elisabeth Nadin
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 1:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: new thread: high tech field geology--pros and cons.

Since we're on the subject of software, does anyone know of tools similar to ArcGIS that are written for Mac? Will ArcGIS ever become available for Mac?
The ILWIS website suggests running the software through the open-source program Wine, but I am not yet comfortable with the idea of running Windows applications on my Mac.

Elisabeth