Kathryn - thanks for the information that photographs can indeed be
annotated using BGS-Sigma.  However, given that the photograph has to be
taken and then downloaded, and then brought into the sketch, and then
annotated, this could equally well, with only slightly more inconvenience,
be accomplished using e.g. Photodraw, or Inkscape or Irfanview, after
returning from the field. In fact it may well be that I would gain more time
in the field by transferring the annotation from my notebook to my computer
at the end of the day rather than at the outcrop. (Also bear in mind that
your notebook + sketches is your backup in the event you drive over your
ruggedized tablet!)
Even if BGSA-Sigma is free, in the context of cash strapped Universities,
private individuals, and junior companies, we come back to the question of
the investment cost of an ArcGIS 9.3 license + Access + ruggedized tablets
w. GPS.  (There  is also the question of whether BGS-Sigma can be integrated
with ArcGIS 9.2 or 10, or only 9.3?)  In my case the cost of and access to
ArcGIS 10 is not a problem - the University has a license, and I understand
the problems of Topology and the ETWizards solution), and I assume that
BGS-Sigma will work with an Asus notebook coupled with a bluetooth GPS. I
would therefore be faced only with the cost of buying Access. This is
unlikely however to be the case of a student!!

On the other hand , I do not think a basic Garmin Etrex is beyond the
extra-beer financial abilities of a student, and if you don't have and can't
use Excel how did you get into a Science Program?  Most students own a
laptop of some kind, and while they may be loth to lug such around in the
field, they could still be used at the end of day's roundup - assuming again
that they are staying in some place habitable. This would provide minimal
entry into mapping and GIS using computers. No computer - then you are left
with ETrex and gridded airphotos - which isn't bad either.  When your
pockets deepen you will have the pleasure of evaluating a high end system
and finally get to use BGS-Sigma or FieldMove.
Hope this helps.
Bill C.