Dear Emma,

conservation requirements do, of course, play an important role.

But exploration with handling gloves has very little to do with
multi-sensory exploration - which surely is an aim of handling collections.

Perhaps wearing handing gloves can initiate pupils into the work of
conservators.  That's good.

I would hate a blanket ban on the handling of original objects - as
reflective prationers we can come up with more sophisticated solutions. It
takes a case-by case decision and depends very much on the collection and
its usages.

When it comes to blind visitors, who are a minority among visually impaired
people, I emphatically advocate the handling of original objects without
gloves - *and in as far as this is possible*.  Handling gloves are the
equivalent of early synthetic speech. No blind person would ever read a
novel by say Jane Austen or Julian Barnes with the synthetic speech software
of the nineties. It would simply destroy the encounter with the original.
I need to stress that objects that blind visitors can touch will be touched
far, far less than handling collections for schools.

*Conservators have not yet had a debate on how far the limits of freedom to
touch for blind people can go.* Eight years ago a conservator of a major
global museum told an audience of visually impaired and sighted art lovers,
that according to the very strict conservation criteria some 200 objects of
the permanent collections of the museum could be made available for
touching.
Yet, in the past 8 eight years the small touch tour of some 8 or 12 objects
or so has not been increased or added to. Other major global museums do not
do any better.

In short, blind people only get the crumbs of the world's great local,
national and global collections - yet the United Nations Convention on the
Rights of Persons with Disabilities (2008) recognises the right for access
'on equal terms', and as early as 1992, the Council of Europe called for
'significant and lasting improvements' in access to culture for all disabled
people.

Of course 'access on an equal basis' is a utopian aspiration, but even in 'a
pragmatic world', we remain miles away from the 'significant improvements'
called for in access to collections for people with a sensory impairment.

More information on international cultural rights policies for disabled
people, and particulary visually impaired people can be found
www.st-dunstans.org.uk/itwa (these pages include the Resolution of the
international conference "In Touch with Art" held in last October at the V&A
and the talk "Access to European museum collections is a right, not a
luxury", which I gave in December in Brussels on the occasion of gave at
European Day of Persons with a Disability).
The Resolution is interesting, because it focuses on practice and tries to
bridge the gap which so often exists between policy and practice.

all best wishes,

Marcus

Marcus Weisen

Consultant
Content Director St Dunstan's In Touch with Art Conference 2010
Director - Jodi Mattes Trust for accessible digital culture,
www.jodiawards.org.uk

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Janine Marriott <[log in to unmask]