Hank is there any fixation period in between your two tasks?  Your EVs are closely correlated which makes your x matrix rank deficient. You may have to model only one of the two (say the visual task) and leave the other one unmodeled. Then the results for that regressor will be interpreted as vision - words and if you add a -1 contrast you can interpret it as words - vision.
Hope this helps
Martin