Dear Larry, Erik,
This is an opinion piece by Debra Allcock Tyler, the Chief Executive of the Directory of Social Change, a charity that stands up for the many thousands of smaller voluntary sector organisations that struggle to respond to these types of government initiatives.  It's about social investment and the Big Society Bank that the UK government is currently establishing.
http://bit.ly/fa7hPm

Here is the response of Nick Hurd, the Minister for Civil Society:
http://bit.ly/g8afz6

I'm not aware of specific responses from disability organisations regarding social impact bonds.

Speaking in a personal capacity as the trustee of a local charity (not Communication Matters which is the charity I work for) that aims to prevent/reduce family problems through early intervention I can't understand how the social investment bond would work for us.  How do you measure the savings brought about by preventative work?

Having said this I do think that many voluntary sector organisations undervalue what they do when describing themselves to potential funders and would benefit from thinking about the wider ways in which their work contributes to society (the "social capital" they create).  For example, an organisation could record the ways in which volunteers have benefitted from working for them rather than just describing the benefits to the people they help: some volunteers go on to find jobs as a result of volunteering.

These are my personal opinions rather than those of Communication Matters.

Kind regards
Katie

Katie Holmes
Research Manager
Communication Matters (ISAAC UK)

I work Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Tel.: 0115 8781305

Communication Matters (ISAAC UK)
  Catchpell House, Carpet Lane, Edinburgh, EH6 6SP
  General Enquiries: Tel & Fax 0845 456 8211
  International: Tel & Fax +44 131 467 7487
  Email: [log in to unmask]

Come and browse our Web site!
  http://www.communicationmatters.org.uk

Registered Charity No. 327500
Registered Company in England & Wales No. 01965474