From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: 19 April 2011 16:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: display of records

Helen and others

The RDA content and carrier types (media type is derived from carrier type) are, like the GMD, controlled vocabularies, which allows the types to be indicated in ways other than textual. Icons, font or background colours, and other visual indicators can be used (and audio indicators for screen-reading software, etc.). Users are becoming familiar with this approach - icons indicate if a document is in PDF or Word format, for example.

One of the problems with the GMD in MARC/AACR is that it is interrupts the readability of a display (GMDs in square brackets do not appear for every title) and the natural sorting order of titles with subtitles, etc. I think it is much better if the type indicator is kept separate from the title.

btw, the RDA types are based on an underlying framework (the RDA/ONIX framework for resource categorization) which allows the human labels to be decomposed into more fundamental indicators. For example, it is possible to indicate resources which require (or not) a specific sense to be used; a visually-impaired user could restrict their search to resources which did not require sight, etc.

Cheers

Gordon