Hi Dirk,

My interpretation of your question is what is the impact of resolution given
by the individual diffraction spots from the electron density sampling and
the Nyquist theorem. My explanation would be that the Nyquist theorem gives
an upper limit to the frequency information that can be obtained, in the
case of crystallography, the highest resolution spot that is possible.
Everything with lower resolution, or smaller index, is at a lower
"frequency" than the nyquist limit. The nyquist limit would come from the
sampling done in the fourier transform of the frequency domain, which in
this case is the transform of reciprocal space to real space. The sampling
that is done in real space is limited by the interaction of the X-rays with
the electron density of the individual molecules in the lattice. That
interaction is nearly continuous across a molecule, leading to a very
"high/fast" sampling rate. The limit of this interaction would be due to the
wavelength (~lambda/2) which would result in the diffraction limit in
reciprocal space (limiting the largest index that is observable).
This my understanding, but I too would like to have a more intuitive
understanding of this fundamental limitation.

Brett