Dear Jobi,

The usual suspects are:
- add another purification step. In fact I'd do that first:
  * Ni-column
  * remove His-tag
  * Ni-column
  * gel filtration
  if you have done that: add another step to test for better crystals
- additive screens
- room temperature data set to check if freezing hampers the crystal
- seeding
- crystallisation at different temperatures
- removal of the His-tag (or leave it on if it is cleaved)

etc, etc, pp

Cheers, Tim

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 05:44:12PM +0800, Jobichen Chacko wrote:
> Dear All,
> We got crystals for a  35 KDa protein with 323aa including His tag and
> linker. It was originally  crystallized in 0.1M BisTris Propane pH:6.5, 0.2M
> Potassium thiocyanate and 20% PEG 3350. Later we managed to obtain crystals
> with 0.1M BisTris pH:6.5, 0.2M Potassium thiocyanate and 20% PEG 3350 as
> well.  Crystals are 3 dimensional in shape and 0.2-0.3mm long. Maximum
> resolution obtained till now is 5.8Å. Tried various cryo conditions like
> Oil, glycerol, salt and sugars. However, the resolution hasn't improved. The
> crystal tends to break in the presence of glycerol.
> Kindly give your suggestions to improve the resolution.
> Thanks.
> Jobi

Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie